Saturday, June 9, 2007

Where the Red Fern Grows

I watched "Where the Red Fern Grows" for the first time since about 1984, and I'll be darned if I didn't cry like I did the first time I saw it! One of the many benefits of having children is the opportunity to see again all of the classics that I grew up on. I can recall watching it and "Old Yeller" at church camp and various functions year after year. By the time the movie was over there would be a roomful of kids either openly sobbing or at the very least sniffling and wiping their eyes.

Anyway, the reason I was watching it was because Nathan was getting bored with the same old movies he had been watching for an entire week, so I pulled it out thinking that he would be interested in seeing it. I also figured that it would have the added benefit of draining his sinuses...a little unorthodox, I know, but whatever works! To my surprise, he was completely disinterested in Old Dan and Little Ann and their adventures in coon hunting. His fever was lower than it had been in days, and he was feeling like getting up and playing. So I got engrossed in the movie and he and Grace crawled around under the fold out couch and ate lunch.

He did really well all morning, and his fever seemed to be waning but then we all laid down for a nap around 1 pm and when I checked on him at 1:30, he was burning up again and his fever was back up to 104.6. So, I covered him in ice packs and filled him with cold juice and popsicles again. I am starting to get really concerned about the source of his infection. His only symptoms are still congestion and a cough. No sore throat. Check. Ears don't hurt. Check. No rash. Check. If he wakes up tomorrow morning after having 3 doses of his antibiotic and he still has fever, I am going to seriously consider taking him to the ER. I don't relish the thought of sitting in the ER waiting room all day, but we have got to figure out what is causing this fever.

No comments: