Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm Back

I took a few days off from the blog while I was home in Louisiana, but here I am ready to begin again. We had such a good time visiting with Courtney and Jack. I can't believe how big he is getting. He has the most angelic smile (in between the Otis fits) and it was fun to hold a little one again, even if it was only for a few days.

Nathan loved the Wizard of Oz and I talked to him about seeing other performances in the theatre, and he was very interested. I need to look into taking him to some local productions to encourage an appreciation for the stage. It was funny listening to him describe the play from a child's point of view and to compare it to my own experience. Our perceptions were vastly different, but that just proves that a child's imagination automatically fills in the blanks whereas adults have to make a concerted effort to transport themselves into a fantasy. I envy Nathan's ability and mourn the loss of my once very active imagination.
Summer and Colby came over on Saturday which gave the boys a chance to play together for a little while. They went to the matinee showing of the Wizard of Oz together, and came home in different cars. When Nathan arrived, he bounded in the house and yelled, "Where's Colby-do?" He pronounced it "ko-bee-doh" which I thought was hilarious since Granny Effler calls Colby "Coby". He called him that all afternoon, and I kept thinking how wonderful it was that the two of them see each other so seldom, but jump right back into a easy camaraderie when they get together. I tried in vain to get a picture of them together, because Colby did not want his picture taken and kept running away from me!

Gracie did very well with her potty training in spite of the long trip and different surroundings. Everyone had the opportunity to experience the whirlwind that is Grace. Frequent, loud announcements concerning her urge to tee-tee and poo-poo. Equally loud announcements about her accomplishment after the fact. She has started this new thing where she will ask me something, and if I don't respond and someone else does she will say (in a tone), "I talking to Mommy!" It was cute the first few times, but now we are having to nip it in the bud because she thinks she can speak that way to adults.

It was good to be back in my own bed last night, but I think I picked up a bug somewhere when I was home. My throat is scratchy and I've been taking Vitamin C and cold medicine in an attempt to head it off before it gets too bad. It was hard to get up this morning after a NyQuil induced sleep, but I did and now I am just trying to get through Monday without feeling worse. I am looking forward to my soft, warm bed when I get home tonight and the prospect of some quick take-out to avoid any cooking.

No comments: