Saturday, March 24, 2007

Not Enough Hours.....

There are not enough hours in the weekend. That is really saying something since I get off work around noon every Friday, giving me 5 additional hours that most don't enjoy. It's still not enough after the doctor's appointments, weekly shopping and the myriad of other errands that must be run before I head home to the family. Although I manage to get much of the running around done Friday afternoon, there always seems to be something that needs to be done on Saturday.

Today it was more work on the deck. That was not a complaint in case it sounded like one. I am thrilled that we have this new space to work on and make it livable, but doing the things that make it nice take time and effort. Trevor and I sat down and made a list of things we wanted to do today and then went to Lowe's to purchase the supplies. The main focus of our effort was to be putting up railing and fans, purchasing some plants and installing the rest of the bamboo blinds. You would think that with a game plan such as ours, it wouldn't take long to get what we needed and head home. In our defense, it probably wouldn't have taken as long sans children, but that wasn't really any option this morning barring a home alone situation and I don't think CPS would look kindly on that sort of thing.

So, 3 hours later we arrived home with a truck and trailer load full of trees, wood and various and sundry items for deck improvement projects. Nathan and Grace went down for a nap and we got to work. I installed a privacy liner for the blinds so the neighbors can't see into our space. Trevor installed the new railing for the deck and mounted the fans for circulation. I transplanted the two trees into sturdy pots and Trevor fixed a hole in the deck. The kids woke up wanting snacks and attention, so while I attended to them Trevor continued to work.

As I was sweeping the sawdust away, I suddenly remembered that I needed to make a dessert for a friend who is on bed rest due to her pregnancy. Our small group was providing dinner tonight and I completely forgot! I rushed inside to see what I had on hand, and realized everything I had required baking for at least an hour, and I didn't have that kind of time. I ran out to Thrif-Tee and picked up the ingredients for banana pudding and then rushed home to throw it together. As I was shopping, I called Kellye and she agreed to come by and pick up the dessert since she was dropping off her salad anyway. Whew! One more thing I didn't have to do! Thank you God for friends!!

Anyway, the pudding was delivered and the deck project was completed, so it was a successful day. It just feels like it took so long to do so little.....but it always feels that way right before Trevor leaves for China. He tries to cram in all those little projects and fix all the small problems before he leaves so I won't be stuck. It's never spoken, but the underlying thought is that he wants to get it done in case he doesn't come home. There is always that possibility, albeit slim, but he always leaves us prepared with all the loose ends tied up.

So that is the real reason there don't seem to be enough hours in the weekend. It's Trevor's last one for a few weeks and every moment is more precious than usual. I wonder what our life would feel like if we treated every weekend, every day as our last with the people we love?


No comments: