Friday, March 9, 2007

It's Friday and I'm Off!


I was awakened this morning by the sound of my 2 year old's door slowly opening. I opened one eye just enough to see the clock by the bed and quickly closed it when I saw the numbers 6:02 boring into my skull. Now on any other morning, this would be about the time that I get up to get Nathan and Grace up and running, but this morning is special. I'm off. I am not required to rise from bed at such a ridiculous hour. I have the luxury of laying in bed until I feel like getting up, right?

Au contraire, for I am a Mother. No, I'm not suffering from a momentary lapse of grammatical reasoning....I meant to capitalize that. As I was laying there briefly entertaining the thought of actually slipping back into my warm cocoon of blankets, pillows and dreams I hear the door again. Grace must have realized how early it was! Maybe she was closing the door quietly out of respect for her Mother's need for just a few more minutes of sleep on her day off. Maybe she was planning to play quietly (and safely) in her room until I came in hours later to retrieve her. Maybe I'm on some kind of psychotropic drug if I really believe any of those options!

As it turns out, her plan for the early morning hours included climbing into bed with mommy with a diaper full of urine (mmmmmm...) and morning breath that would rival any adult. As she tunneled her way into my warm cave of blankets I kept my eyes shut, hoping she would get the hint. Note to self: the 2 year old brain does not "get" hints, vibes, mental projections or subliminal messages. She immediately began to talk and move around, effectively ending my night.

As she lay there molded next to my side, I could feel her warmth and sweetness. It was in that moment that I realized for the millionth time since I was inducted into the sorority of motherhood how lucky I am. My children are loving, affectionate, intelligent people that bring me untold joy week after week. I won't lie (and anyone who knows me won't be surprised by this): my children drive me to the very edge of my sanity anywhere from 3 to 228 times a day. They fight and argue and make huge messes and embarrass me in public and ......well the list goes on and on. But at the end of the day, I love them and they love me and wouldn't change a thing about my little family. Not one aspect of any personality, not one quirk. God made us the way we are and we are a perfect fit.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous that you are at home with your beautiful babies and visiting mother! Enjoy your time together and praise God that none are sick...it looks like Kate and Paige are the only ones who have contracted the stomach bug thus far.