Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Morning After

I hate the morning after vacation. In spite of my best efforts, the real world had not gone anywhere and the same old routine was waiting for me this morning. Alarm at 6 am, snooze until 6:15, etc, etc. It didn't help that the kids were in rare form with the whining and crying which just drove me to distraction, and made me dread the rest of the day.

I really shouldn't complain since I had Monday off as a "buffer" day so that I could ease back into my life, but since it's my blog I'm going to complain anyway. After getting the kids to where they needed to be yesterday I went back home and stayed on the couch watching TV for several hours. Charly came by to tell me that she is pregnant again, and then I got up and started thinking about the rest of my day.

I went to Wal-Mart for a few items and then to Chili's for lunch. I had a new book to start reading so I had two of my favorite things at the same time: a book and food! After lunch, I went to see Ali's new law office hoping she would be there too. She told me to call Heather, which I did and found out that she is pregnant again! For anyone out there who doesn't know, Heather just gave birth to Carson last October. Yes...that's October of 2006. Poor Heather....what a shock for her and Mike! There must be something in the water...first Charly, now Heather.

After that call, I met up with Kellye for a pedicure and we had a good time visiting. Ali called to find out where we were and met us there for a few minutes to chat. We told Kellye to hold off calling Heather until the news had sunk in a little more....Kellye has a reputation for "lecturing in love" and Heather was a little fearful of what Kellye would say about this turn of events. I think stuff like this offends Kellye's innate sense of order and she has a harder time processing it than the rest of us.

After the relaxing pedicure, I rushed home just in time to get Gracie from FBC and to be at home for Trevor's mom to deliver Nathan to me. For the first time in weeks, I had a hot dinner of steak and gravy, biscuits and green beans on the table when Trevor arrived home from work. We had a pretty relaxing evening together, except for the sporadic bursts of dread every time I would remember that I had to get up and go to work in the morning!

So here I am, halfway through my first day back and already looking forward to the next long weekend in May for Memorial Day. At least the work week will be a full day shorter for me and I can slip back into that vacation mode on Friday, at least for the few hours before the kids get home!

1 comment:

Kellye said...

"Harder time processing" is an understatement. I think of all the ramifications our actions have on us. Then I go into panic mode. I must love someone much to go through all of the trouble to panic over THEIR lives and not just my own!