Sunday, April 15, 2007

Does the Weather Need an Intervention?


Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the weather is on crack? First we had the bizarre cold snap last weekend for Easter. At the Easter egg hunt Saturday morning, the kids were running around in jeans, sweaters and jackets with their breath suspended in the air as they held the newly discovered pastel colored eggs. We had a roaring fire going all day in the fireplace, and the Easter morning pictures of Grace in her sleeveless linen dress and Nathan in his blazer and khaki pants looked like a digitally altered photos with the flickering fire in the background!
Last week we had a bit of a warming trend and I thought that all the craziness was over. The tender (though slightly frostbitten perhaps) plants started to stretch out to the warm sun again and put out more growth. I left work several evenings to beautifully mild temperatures and the promise of a long evening on the deck with Trevor and the kids. And then came Friday.

It rained pretty much all day Friday, ruining my plans for cutting the grass when I got home. The longer it rained, the cooler it became and it continued to storm all night. When I woke up Saturday morning, it was about 70 and very comfortable outside. I enjoyed my morning coffee on the swing outside and listened to the birds sing as the world woke up around me. It looked as though it was going to be a temperate (although cloudy) day. As the day progressed, the sun came out but the temperature dropped to an unseasonable 60 with really high winds. By yesterday evening it was 55 and we had another fire going in the fireplace. Granted, 55 isn't technically fire building weather, but we do live in Southeast Texas and any excuse to have a fire is a good one!

So, we'll see what the weather does today. Can I wear strappy pink heels to church today or do I need to wear something that will cover my legs? Sleeveless or jacket? Will it be good kite flying weather for Nathan, or will the wind send us running inside looking for refuge from it's bite? I am hoping for a beautiful, sunny day filled with worship and family time. But like so many things in my life, I can't control the weather and will have to make the best of whatever comes my way. I'm just praying for normal weather soon so that out poor plants will stop being so confused about whether to lose their leaves or grow them!


No comments: