Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Getting Back Into the Routine

Let me begin by saying that I am so glad to have Trevor home. I usually spend the Friday afternoon that he returns in a state of anxious expectation, arriving at the airport before I need to be there and then getting worked up because I have to wait for him. But this past Friday, we had a baby shower for my friend Kasi at work, so the time just flew by and it took my mind off the waiting.

He called me just as I was leaving work, so when I pulled up to the terminal he was making his way out of the building. My heart nearly jumped out of my chest with joy when I caught sight of him! I don't really relax and believe that he is home until I can actually see his face and feel his strong embrace.

I dropped him off at the house and then went to get the kids from school and the babysitter's house. I told them that I had a surprise for them at home, and it was fun to listen to them try and guess what it was. When we pulled into the driveway, Nathan bolted out of the Tahoe and I had to rein him in so I could see his reaction when he saw Trevor. He and Gracie made a beeline for the front door and when they realized he was home, there was much hugging and squealing!

We ended up in the backyard when all of the hugging and squealing was over, and it seemed like every time Trevor looked down, Nathan was standing there. Not talking or trying to get his attention, just standing there as close as he could get to Trevor. When Trevor would ruffle his hair or smile at him, Nathan would throw his arms around him and say, "I'm so glad you're home, Daddy!"

We went to the local carnival/BBQ cook-off on Saturday and had a good time, in spite of the heat. I meant to put sunscreen on the kids, but when I went to apply it realized that it was expired. As a result, Gracie sported and pink nose and cheeks, but no serious damage was done. We rode the Ferris wheel, the Zipper and ate some BBQ. Trevor was really dragging towards the end of our excursion due to the jet lag, so we were all glad to walk home and rest for a while.

We spent Sunday afternoon relaxing and then attended the third week of our Shepherding a Child's Heart bible study that evening. Trevor ended up having to go home before it started because he wasn't feeling well, but the study was a great success. The group is starting to loosen up a bit and feel comfortable sharing and asking questions.

Yesterday, Trevor and I took the day off from work so that we could spend some alone time together. Since he was so jet lagged, we didn't do anything for our anniversary Saturday, so we thought we would at least try to catch lunch and a movie on Monday. We ended up spending most of our time at Barnes and Noble (typical) and then having lunch at Pappasito's. We bought Nathan a chapter book that he was very excited about, and then basically headed home. Poor Trevor was still feeling under the weather, so after I dropped him off I went and got a pedicure.

I sat there and read my book while my feet and legs were pampered, and it was wonderful. I have been a little embarrassed to wear my sandals, because it has been so long since I had a pedicure, and now I have no reason to be ashamed. She did a great job, and it felt good to have some alone time after the two weeks of absolutely no privacy!

So there is my weekend in a nutshell. We are so happy to have Trevor home again, and are finally settling back in to our routine. I also had an opportunity to network at little bit with regard to my calligraphy business. I am praying that with some of the additional exposure I am receiving, that I will be getting more business. I love scrapbooking and doing calligraphy and I hope that at some point in the future it will be enough to allow me to stay home with the kids.


Karen said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I love Nathan's reaction to Trevor being home. My daughter is 11 and still has a hard time when Dan is gone. His homecoming is always a celebration, especially for her.

Oooh, the pedicure sounds heavenly. A rite of spring!

Mocha with Linda said...

Such fun!! Loved hearing about your reunion and the weekend. Hope Trevor is back to normal quickly.

And can I just say how many anniversaries we have spent going to dinner and then Barnes & Noble?! That cracked me up!

Alana said...

I hope Trevor is feeling better!

The carnival looks like a blast. Cotton Candy and BBQ chicken sounds just lovely right now!

The Young's said...

Wow...looks like you guys have had a GREAT time!! I'm SO glad that Trevor is back home. My heart jumps with joy for you guys!! It is such a special time!!! The carnival looks like it was a great time too!!! Love the pics of the kids!! I hope you guys have another great weekend!!