Friday, May 18, 2007

Home

I woke up this morning with a sense of anticipation and joy because I am going home. Home to Louisiana, home to my family, home to the place that draws me back time and time again. I am tied to it by an invisible cord that pulls and tugs on my soul to come back and stay.

I moved to Texas with my parents when I was only 4, so it could be reasonably argued that Texas is my home, and geographically that is true. I grew up, went to college, met my husband, started a family and still live here. My house and life are here in Texas, but my heart and soul belong in Louisiana. The land of rich gumbo, sweet strawberries and spicy crawfish. The place that has been my refuge from all the storms in my life. I go home for so many reasons...holidays, funerals, reunions...but the main reason I make the journey over and over again is for renewal.

My roots go deep in Louisiana. I come from a close knit family and with few exceptions, they all still live right there. I've had the good fortune to know all of my grandparents, be close with my aunts and uncles and have cousins that are more like sisters to me. My parents moved back home a few years ago so I have the added bonus of seeing them each time I go back. When I go home, it's like time is suspended for me. Everything slows down and I am able to get perspective on the things that really matter in my life. I look forward to spending hours on Granny's porch with whoever happens to be there. I relish the anticipation of going out for a drink with Uncle Chuck and catching up with him. I love seeing my children play under the canopy of live oak branches at the old property that has been in my father's family for generations. I love that Trevor loves my family and all the traditions that we hold so dear and that he is a perfect fit.

So, I'll be headed east in a few hours with Nathan and Grace semi-comfortably ensconced in the backseat with a movie to entertain them. This evening I'll be seated at the kitchen table chatting and laughing with Mama and Aunt Gail feeling as though I never left. Because home is where the heart is, and my heart is in Louisiana.

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Sounds lovely! A true southern gal!

Andrea said...

That was a beautiful post. It's always great to go home, isn't it??