Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I'm Giving Thanks...for the Right to Vote

http://southbreezefarm.blogspot.com/


We have so freedoms afforded to us as United States citizens.  So many rights that we often take them for granted and become complacent because of the sense of entitlement they tend to bring.  We have so many rights that we begin to assign rights where there are none.  We assume that our rights (real and perceived) can never be taken away from us, so we allow others to make decisions for us by not voting.  We claim to be so confused by the convoluted state of our government that we can't vote intelligently because we don't understand the issues.  We decry the corruption in high places and become so disillusioned that we feel as though no matter who we put in office it won't matter, because they will succumb to the pervasive dishonesty and trading of favors.

We have so many excuses to not vote:  not enough time, the lines are too long, forgetting to register....the list goes on and on.  Sadly, the same people who don't take the time to vote are often the first to complain when the politicians make decisions that don't align with their values.  It's like the lottery...you've got to play to win.  You forfeit the right to bellyache if you are unwilling to exercise your right to vote.

I would love to see the election results if 100% of the population cast their votes.  What would a true majority look like, and what would it say?  I think liberals and conservatives alike would be surprised.

It was with a distinct sense of pride  that I signed my name this morning to indicate that I cast my vote in the mid-term elections.  I added my voice to the millions of other Americans who took the time to speak today.  I am thankful for the right to vote.

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

LOL - I just put that as today's thankful item!

What you have written is so true.