Friday, January 4, 2008

This is the Part Where I Breath a Big Sigh of Relief

Whew! It's finally done. All of the Christmas decorations are down, as in dusted, wrapped, packed and put away until November 28, 2008. My house looks strangely empty, like I don't have enough furniture or something.

One of my favorite days of the year is putting the decorations up, but equally as enjoyable is taking them down. The decorations look great because they are supposed to make the house look and feel all Christmasy and cosy, but I generally like the "less is more" approach. And seriously, is it possible to live by that creed when it comes to Christmas decorations?

I think not.

So when the day comes that I am able to get my house back in order after the madness that is Christmas, I am overjoyed. The clean lines of my home become visible again when I remove the garland and lights. I replace pictures of the kids with Santa with my old, familiar pictures of family and friends. It's like rediscovering my life once a year.

I was out on the deck taking down the lights on the railing, and Gracie asked me what I was doing. I told her that Christmas was over and that it was past time to take down the lights.

Gracie: But I like the lights!

Me: I do too, but we can't leave them up. It would be tacky.

Gracie: But I like tacky.


My poor baby. She's going to grow up to be one of those people who leave their lights on the house until July. The wooden snowmen in the yard will fall over around February and leave large brown patches on the lawn. The chickens in the front yard will choke on the tinsel that has fallen out of the tree, or possibly get electrocuted by the frayed extension cord hanging from its branches.

I'll be right back...I need a paper bag.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'm with Grace, I like tacky, too. My inside stuff came down way too early this year, but the outside lights will stay up for a while.

I like your description of rediscovering your life. It does seem like that, getting back to the familiar.

I put the button up for the award you gave me and will do a post this weekend. Thanks again!

Alana said...

I'm with you. I love putting them up, but I equally love taking them down. I love simplicity.

Great quote by your little one, though. That is one for the baby book!

Crystal said...

Mine are still up as of right now! My son (19 mths) and I were eating lunch Friday and my hubby came in and just randomly took down our Santa that counts down to Christmas. As he walked out of the room Luke began crying and saying, "Ho Ho, Ho Ho!" So it was immediately hung back up. I think I'm going to have to do ALL of the removal while he is in bed so he doesn't have a melt down.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Crystal,

LOL! How things change when we have children! I can't tell you how many times I have rushed through a task, sure to send one of mine into hysterics, during the brief interlude that is nap time.

Xandra

Kim said...

I love Grace! Your post made me smile.
*smiles*
Kim
(ps...I found your blog from Karen)

Andrea said...

I can't wait to take down the tree and decorations almost right after Christmas. We took ours down on December 27th already this year. But part of that was because our tree (we get a real tree) was falling apart and DYING! Otherwise we probably would've left it up until new year's.

Your daughter sounds really cute!