Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm Feeling a Bit Random

I can't sleep. I went to bed with a good book about 2 hours ago, and after tossing and turning for what felt like an eternity I decided to cut my losses and get up. Mild insomnia is nothing new for me. I've had it for years now, but it seems to get worse as I get older. I take Lunesta if I have a particularly bad night, and it sort of resets my sleep patterns so that I get back on schedule.

Anyway, I was laying there feeling hungry (which made it harder to fall asleep), so now I'm comfortably ensconced on the sofa with a spoonful of peanut butter and a drink. I feel much better now, and am actually enjoying the quietness of the house. It's funny how every sound is amplified at night...the cars passing on the nearby highway are usually unnoticeable when blended with the cacophony of children's voices, music and the hum of the washer and drier. But at night I can hear each car as it passes and I wonder where the passenger(s) is/are going. Is someone in labor? Are they going to or coming from work? Maybe they are just unable to sleep like me and are out for a snack.

So far this post has absolutely no point at all, but that's okay. I put too much pressure on myself to always have a point when I write. This blog started out as a way to journal my random thoughts and feelings, and somehow morphed into something of a chore to check off my to-do list. I no longer felt free to just write for me...instead I felt compelled to write for others that might be reading my words. And while that is not a bad thing (for I love each of you dearly), sometimes I just want to randomly free-associate, with no particular writing goal in mind.

My 37 birthday is in six days. Our family has never really gone all out for birthdays...a card and a random present here and there usually suffice, and this year will be no different. My birthday falls on MLK day which is a school holiday, so I am taking the day off to be with the kids. Actually, not going to work will be an awesome present! My mom and dad bought Trevor and me a set of wireless speakers as a joint birthday gift, so we can listen to our stereo/iPhone dock outside on the deck. It's nice to plug the speaker in outside and have instant music without the hassle of trying to wire up the deck and then hide said wires.

As of last Monday, I started to work out and diet again. My hospital has a Wellness Center with all the amenities of a gym, but with the benefit of being very convenient and affordable. A friend of mine from work (Mary) and I are accountability partners and are going three times a week to the gym. I'm doing circuit training, since this has worked very well for me in the past. I know that in a few weeks time, I will be feeling the difference in the way my clothes fit even if the scale doesn't show the progress I'm making.

I received about 8 books for Christmas, and I am slowly making my way through each one. It's been so busy that the only time I really have to read is after I go to bed at night, so I'm only about halfway through them, but it gives me a comfortable thrill in my chest when I think of the other 4 books that I have yet to read.

I also received an enameled cast iron dutch oven from Amber. Oh. My. Goodness. What an awesome addition to my kitchen! If you are in any way handy in the kitchen and enjoy cooking, this is a must have. It heats evenly because it's cast iron, but it doesn't react with acidic foods (like tomatoes) the way traditional cast iron does, because it's coated in enamel. Mine is a beautiful chili pepper red color that I just adore, and I will be making many soups, stews and gumbos this winter. Did I mention that I LOVE it???

Our friends Ali and Chris had their third child this past Friday. His name is Elijah Owen (Eli), and he was 6lbs 6oz. Ali (who is a lawyer) was in court the morning he was born, thinking she had plenty of time before her contractions started coming close together. She finished her business, called Chris to take her to the hospital and they begin the trip at about 10:15am. They arrived at the hospital at 11:10 and Ali gave birth at 11:30am. Yeah. That's what I said.

OK. I think that I've had enough randomness to last me for a while. Maybe I'll play a quick game of Monopoly on my iPhone and then head back to bed. Good night.

11 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Yes I understand the insomnia thing. And you are right...it can get worse the older you get. Menopause certainly doesn't help. Hope the peanut butter has soothed your soul and your tummy. The dutch oven sounds great. Happy Cooking! Think I'll try sleep again soon...

Mel said...

Peanut butter is such a comfort food and random thoughts are awesome!!

Buffi Young said...

I love your random thoughts!! I too sometimes feel pressure to get things written for everyone else. I guess I feel if I don't get something up...everyone will quit reading. I sure don't want that! I LOVE hearing from everyone and connecting with everyone.

I hope you rested well!!! Have a blessed day!
Buffi

Jill said...

We share those late nites...just a few states between and a gulf...hmmm, makes me think I want one of those dutch ovens...and my bday is 16 days away, but it will be 42 for me...I too feel the pressure to write for others at times, it will come back around, but I like the random anywho! Congrats on the working out...I am willing more than doing, but it will happen.

Lisa said...

I have the same problem sometimes. I can't just lay there so I usually get up and read or clean or wash clothes:) I love hearing all those random thoughts. Its like having a real conversation with you!

Mocha with Linda said...

I love your randomness. It was like having my coffee with you.

Well, not really, but I could pretend!

You'll have to let us know what books you got!

luvmy4sons said...

Thanks for sharing your random thoughts. You go girl with the diet and exercising...it will reap great rewards...and if any of those books are awesome pass some info along about them...I love a new book!

Kate said...

For sleep try 84 Charing Cross Road. Stuart calls it Somonex for the DVD :)

And now I need to get out and walk. Your workout paragraph has inspired me.

I've enjoyed our midnight visit.

Kate

Heather C said...

I loved this post! It helps me to know you better and feel like I've really gotten a glimpse into your life. :) I love that! Happy Birthday, early! I'm very sad to learn that you're younger than I am. :( ROFL

Rachel said...

I was up too. My food of choice was a delicious chocolate cake :)

I love random! No matter what you write about, God always uses you to enrich the lives of others...especially me!

lori said...

Keep it random.. I am getting back to writing what I want to as well. I had quite a few people around here telling me they read my blog so I got a little worried what every one thinks, but it's my blog and I have to like it or why do it.. Anyway see I like random

I am going to start working out too, I have a race in may so I have to get up and get trained.

Anywho love ya