Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Priorities

I had my annual evaluation at work today. It was good to hear that I am exceeding the standards established for my position, and that my supervisors count me as an asset to the department. There were some areas where I received some constructive criticism, and I gladly welcomed the comments because I want to grow in my profession and strive to be better.

But at one point during the interview, I found myself just nodding my head as though I was listening, but really having a completely different conversation in my head. My director was talking about long-term goals as they relate to my career path. She talked about visualizing what I want for myself in the future and giving myself a time frame for achieving those goals.


As she went on about my growth and the possible necessity of changing physical locations to advance my career, I just sat there and thought, "You know nothing about me." So I nodded politely at all the right places, and threw in a few "I understand" and "Of course" for good measure, but my mind was drawn to what I really want.


It's quite simple. To raise my children and take care of my husband. Working outside the home is a reality for me. I do it well, and I take joy in my profession but it is not my life. I don't care if I never get another raise or promotion if it means that I can spend time with my family. The whole reason I changed job locations 6 years ago was for the shorter commute and ease of taking time off when it was needed.

I have no aspirations to be in management, which is the next step for me. If that job fell in my lap at my current location, I would gladly accept the responsibility and pay raise, but it's not something I seek. I don't plan my life around what I want out of my career. I plan my career around my family, and do my best to be spiritually discerning with respect to what God has planned for me.

So as she was speaking, I just laughed at little on the inside (she is my boss after all) at her supposition that I would change jobs, thus putting me further from my family all for the sake of advancing my career. It's just not for me. That doesn't mean it's not right for others, but I feel like I'm just marking time during the day until I can get home. I do my best to glorify God with my work ethic and dedication to my patients, but I'm always looking ahead to my homecoming each night.

9 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I hear you, friend! That was the constant battle I was in. And I didn't even have kids when I worked. I had a boss that had her life mapped out as it related to her career, and her kids were just dots on the map. She missed only about 10 days when they were born, and she used to write memos while breastfeeding during the night even in those first 2 weeks.

Not for me.

Your children will rise up and call you blessed and your husband will praise you in the city gates!

Kate said...

A girl with her priorities in the right place. Good for you! You won't regret it.

Kate

luvmy4sons said...

Having just had ANOTHER head CT with contrast...I greatly appreciate radiology techs! I am so with you on the goals for the future. It is hard to be in both worlds!

Rhonda said...

I completely understand. I would take a promotion and pay raise, but I'm certainly not seeking it.

I'm at my current job because I can get lots of time off, and I don't work weekends, holidays or evenings.

Rachel said...

I agree. I chose a career that revolves around my family. I don't care that I won't make a lot of money. What matters to me is family!! Great post!

Alana said...

I love that. You've got it right.

lori said...

I think you do it so very right

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I loved this post! I was just thinking the other night that if I went back to work and was asked the popular interview questions "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" my answer would not sound very good to my would be employers. In 10 years I want to be in the center of God's will. PERIOD. Yes, goals are good...but as far as setting a plan and doing whatever it takes to make that plan a reality...I am happy to say I left that bus in my 20s.

About Nancy said...

You sound like a perfect Proverbs 31 woman. So proud of you dear sister!
Blessings.