Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'm Still Here

I can't begin to count the number of times in the last 2 weeks that I have sat down to blog. Every time, it seemed that I had something more pressing to do and I never got around to it. I had approximately 327 topics floating around in my head that I wanted to write about, but it never seemed to be a good time.

The lack of blogging time all started with an increased patient load at work. Normally, I have time throughout the day to check email, read my favorite blogs and what have you. But due to the elevated number of patients Every. Single. Moment. of my day was spent trying to treat them and/or play catch up. And just for the record, I would rather be spoon fed my own vomit than get behind at work. Well, maybe not, but you get the picture. I don't like making my patients wait, and I don't like to work through lunch and after my day should be over.

So, all the things that I normally do on the computer during the day, got pushed to the evenings when I got home. That is after I cooked dinner picked up pizza, fed the kids, cleaned up the dishes, watched them swim, dried them off, got them ready for bed and sat down. As you can imagine, the time left over for blogging was drastically reduced especially after I checked my email and tried to read and comment on all of my favorite blogs. Then there was the issue of preparing my Sunday School lesson and doing the homework for my Bible study. I am pleased to report that those two items took precedence over blogging, but didn't change the fact that I wanted to blog.

It's been a whirlwind of activity since the last time I was able to post. Nathan and Gracie both had well child visits on Monday the 23rd, and were both in great health. Nathan is 58 lbs and 49 inches tall, and Gracie is 36 lbs and 38 inches tall. Am I the only mother who lies about can't remember the number of servings of the different foods groups that their children ingest? Does ice cream count as dairy? How about the 10 calorie juice packs....fruit or not? I find myself mumbling the answers to the nurse, just waiting for the look of disapproval. I think I'm going to have the food pyramid tattooed on my palm so I can give her the correct numbers next time.

Then Trevor's brother Will and his wife Charly had their second child on the 26th. His name is Alexander Carl, and he looks just like his older brother Nick. Several evenings were spent visiting them in the hospital, and mother and baby are doing fine.

Gracie had to go back to the doctor on Friday the 27 to get her immunizations because she had a fever within 24 hours of her original appointment, and they didn't want to give her the shots on Monday. Trevor took her to the appointment and she got FIVE shots! He said that she didn't even cry until the 5th one...I telling you people....she's going to breeze through childbirth one day. This child has an incredible tolerance to pain.

I can't remember for the life of me what we did that weekend, but I do know that I had a hard time using the computer because there were two keys on missing on my keyboard. Apparently, one of the cats had been sleeping on my open laptop, and when Trevor discovered her, she jumped off so quickly that one of her claws caught in the keys and broke the "m" and the "k" off. I was so irritated at the weird feeling of typing without all of the keys, that I refused to use my computer.

It didn't last long. By Sunday, I was making nice with the keyboard and trying my best to use it without complaining to Trevor every 30 seconds about how strange it felt. But I wasn't up for trying to blog. I just checked my email and (you guessed it) read my favorite blogs.

Trevor went to Oklahoma City for a business trip on Monday, so I was busy with the kids, and then the week sort of slid into the Fourth of July holiday. I spent every night washing clothes and getting the kids packed for their week long stay with Nannie and Papa. (Oh yes! Don't worry...it's a topic for another day!)

Then we made the trip to Louisiana for the long weekend, and had a fabulous time hanging out and relaxing. I was sort of glad that my computer access was restricted, because it was quite liberating to not be worrying about checking my email, etc. That is, until I finally checked my homepage, and I had roughly 4598 blog posts to read on bloglines! I am slowly making my way through each one, so if you are wondering why I haven't commented in a while, now you know.

So, here I am at work on my lunch break trying to put it all together in one post. I have received so many emails checking up on me to make sure that I hadn't fallen off the face of the planet, which seriously gave me a case of the warm fuzzies. It's always nice to be missed, even if my little corner of the blogosphere is small and hobbit-hole like. It just reaffirms my belief that I have made some very dear friends as a result of my blogging addiction. So thank you for your emails of concern...it's good to be back.

5 comments:

Alana said...

That is so funny, because I literally just started thinking, wonder what is up with Xandra? Haven't seen her "around" lately. And then popped over to see this post you must have just recently posted...wasn't even highlighted on my bloglines yet! Glad all is well. I get that way with blogging sometimes...by the time I am done reading blogs and checking email, I don't have much left for writing a post! Good to hear an update, though!

Mocha with Linda said...

Well, since you've hardly posted since my visit, I'm glad to see something there. If for no other reason than for people to know I wasn't the ax murderer your husband thought I might be! LOL

So glad you're back. Wow. You have been a busy bee.

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear from you. Summer is busy and I have had to make myself write posts. I did actually think one day last week that I hope nothing had happened to you. Its funny how we get used to keeping up with the lives of people only know from blogging.

Lisa

luvmy4sons said...

I am just glad to know you are okay! LOL! Life sounds busy at your place as well...don't ya just love those check up questions. Reason why I quit doing check ups after age five till they hit teen years and they were required for sports or work permits! LOL! I AM a nurse after all..who cares what percential they fall in...nothign is ever done about it! I KNOW if something is a miss! Deep breaths! In and out. I walk around mumbling that to myself!

Crystal said...

Whew! You've been busy! It is good to 'hear' from you though! Maybe things will continue to slow down for you at work!
And seriously I have never been asked about a food pyramid or whatnot at a well visit... ! I wouldn't have ANY idea about it though.